For expectant mothers and fathers, giving birth is a time of considerable eager anticipation mixed with nervousness.
While most babies are delivered safely, on occasion, injuries may arise which can have implications for the long-term health of your son or daughter. Should such an event occur, it is important to have the best support and information available to help you navigate the challenges ahead.
Since 1987, the medical negligence team at Lavelle Partners have developed a robust reputation across Ireland for providing caring and empathetic legal advice and representation to the families of those affected by medical negligence at birth. While we cannot completely remove the burden and worry from parents in this situation, we can seek a legal remedy on their behalf.
What type of birth injuries can I claim for?
Specific birth injuries for which a medical negligence claim may be considered (but are not limited to):
- Cerebral Palsy
- Erb’s Palsy
- Broken bones
- Damage due to assisted birth (e.g. forceps)
- Lack of oxygen (asphyxia)
- Brain damage
- Traumatic birth injuries
- Neonatal brain injuries
- Injuries to the mother including tearing and poor management of preeclampsia.
By calling our team today, we can advise if the circumstances which led to the injury constitute medical negligence and whether you may be able to bring a claim for recourse.
What may a birth injury medical negligence claim cover?
Claims following a diagnosis of birth injury due to medical negligence may cover two areas of loss:
- Pain and suffering due to the injury;
- Specific financial costs resulting from the injury caused. This may cover costs already incurred, such as transport, accommodation, and medical treatment, and expected future expenses, such as physical therapy and care costs. The costs you receive will be based on the precise injuries suffered and the circumstances of the case.
Children with birth injuries may require specialist equipment to enable their mobility and every day functioning. Modifications to the home may also be required to facilitate their needs and such costs will be considered as part of the claim.
Why should I consider Lavelle Partners to handle my claim?
- Lavelle Partners have successfully managed many cases involving children diagnosed with birth injuries due to medical negligence.
- Our personal injury team, headed by partner, Avril Scally, who herself has over 15 years’ experience in medical negligence claims, place client care at the centre of everything they do.
- From the first moment you speak to one of our solicitors, we will listen to your case carefully and with empathy and will only recommend advancing your case if we believe you have a valid case.
- We have both the legal expertise and understanding of the real-life challenges faced by mothers, children, and their families following such events.
- Our solicitors will manage the process entirely on your behalf; compiling the information necessary for your case, including medical notes and managing the submission of your medical negligence claim.
- We will answer any subsequent questions and/or provide further information if required.
By allowing us to handle your claim on your behalf, you can focus on what is most important your recovery and care, or that of your family member or loved one.
Lavelle Partners secures settlement for a Plaintiff suffering from Cerebral Palsy due to negligence surrounding the circumstances of his birth at a regional hospital
Lavelle Partners secures settlement for Plaintiff who developed Erb’s palsy stemming from the manner in which he was delivered as a baby
For further information on making a claim following a birth injury due to medical negligence in Ireland, please contact Lavelle Partners in confidence on (01) 644 5800 or email Avril Scally at [email protected]
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement. This statement is made in compliance with RE.8 of SI 518 of 2002.